Tuesday 17 September 2013

Tiny wasp

... or at least some sort of Hymenoptera - at least appeared that way. On the end of a leaf I was trying (and failing) to key out. In the hand lens (x20) was a fantastic metallic green head, gradating into a golden abdomen. No lens with me capable of catching it, and no way of keeping it, but it did keep alive the interest in tiny things I might need to really stretch this Cullaloe list out.


On a tangent, how can you have perennial or annual as part of a key? How the hell do I know whether it's perennial or annual? Can you tell from looking? At least until I know better this seems quite bizarre to me. Not the first place where I think the key requires foresight that would mean you didn't need the key.

("Chalcid wasps (insects within the superfamily Chalcidoidea, part of the order Hymenoptera. It is one of the largest groups within the order, with some 22,000 known species, and an estimated total diversity of anywhere from 60,000 to more than 500,000 species, meaning the vast majority have yet to be discovered and described."

Oh lordy... and it might not even be a Chalcid I suppose. Some hints it might be a Eulophid wasp.They also have over 4k species - about half that of fish or birds!

Mind you some of the images of those wasps close up are simply stunning)

No comments:

Post a Comment